Sunday, March 1, 2009

Weekend Woes

So Schmoo's tooth isn't better. We've spent most of the weekend listening to her moans and doping her up on Children's Advil to help her manage the discomfort. It's so hard to know what the source of discomfort is. My impression of people who have had significant tooth work done before is that your mouth hurts for some time afterwards, so I wonder whether her pain is just from having her mouth frozen and tooth drilled. The mother's instinct in me is panicking that it's something more. I've spent lots of time this weekend wondering what is considered a dental "emergency", what would be acceptable to call our dentist after hours.

Today I was actually in luck. Schmoo and I made our way up to the ski hill for a couple of runs and as I drove up the hill I thought how great it would be to run into our dentist. I know he's an avid skiier. I decided at the last minute (after scoring the best parking spot) to buy a half day ticket and take Schmoo up the chairlift instead of just the rope tow and guess who we found on our first trip up. Our dentist! I approached him without hesitation and told him how his partner had performed some work on Schmoo on Friday and that she was still complaining and her cheek seemed swollen. Without knowing exactly what had happened, or taking a look he did assure me that I should call tomorrow morning for a follow-up. I atleast came away feeling a bit better about my mother's second nature kicking in. Schmoo's skiing was great today too. We managed two trips down from the chairlift. The harness worked much better than my poles!

She seems a bit better tonight. She was full of energy and didn't complain at all while our friends were here for dinner. We warmed up her cheek with a warm cloth before bedtime and I'm going to see if she can sleep tonight without any Advil. Irregardless the dentist will be my first priority at 8am tomorrow morning.


The rest of the weekend has been busy. We had a morning at home yesterday, finishing off the final touches on our cupcakes for the Sno Time Tea at Schmoo's school on Saturday afternoon. The kids loved decorating their share of cupcakes with gummy bears, Smarties and jelly beans. Schmoo and I dropped them off at school and then after lunch we all headed into town for Schmoo's soccer class. She ran her little legs off and came off the pitch complaining about her mouth. After a poor night's sleep, she was exhausted and our trip to the Sno Time Tea was a relatively subdued one. The kids wouldn't eat the egg salad sandwiches, but seemed content to snack on the dessert plate of goodies. The each got to buy a raffle ticket to put into the individual prize draws - Schmoo picked a Hannah Montana sleepover set and a Garfield cake and Bean picked the train cake. We returned home and after a nice bath I said goodnight and headed back to work for month end.
I returned later with pizza and a movie to a quiet house. Papa greeted me with good news - Schmoo's name had been chosen for the Hannah Montana gift! What a great thing to be able to tell a sad little girl in the morning. Tonight will be an early night I suspect. My eyes are still goopy from the eye ointment so it's hard to tell if they are cleared up or not. I'm supposed to be skiing tomorrow for my month end day off, but the dentist will determine my plans! Wish us luck!!

2 comments:

Team Indi said...

OMG OMG...the Hannah Montana Sleep Over Kit......wait until I get there in the summer to open it.

Love Kate

gladventurer said...

Good luck with the dentist . Makes me remember when I was a little girl with an ear ache. My uncle would blow cigarete smoke into my ear. I believed he was magic as the warm smoke did sooth the discomfort.