Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday without motion

I just couldn't get motivated today. We had a disrupted night's sleep last night. Airlie's stomach is still off, so when she started pacing around our room at 1am, Papa got up and took her out. This of course now means that he has to physically walk down to the dog run with her, as a frantic barking session doesn't do anyone any good at one in the morning. Turns out it was just the wind, which is almost more irritating than her having to go to the bathroom.

Most of Nelson was still closed today for the Easter holiday, so Papa worked from home. He was still managing some of his friend U's work, so had quite a bit to do. The kids rummaged and played around the house all morning, while I tried to think of something for us to do. I actually spent most of the morning arguing with Bean about how much chocolate and candy he could eat. He managed to have several large tantrums for one reason or another. Finally after their lunch, I bundled them up and decided that we would walk into town to do some errands - a visit to the bank machine and a visit to the movie store to drop off a movie.

The walk was slow, as most walks with two small children are. There was lots of stopping - to run up and down a hill that still had snow in it, to pick up sticks, to use the sticks to try and touch trees from the sidewalk, to look at the crocuses that were starting to bloom in someone's garden. I tried to just let the walk evolve at its own pace. We made it through town and did our errands and then started back home. The granola bar snack that I had brought along wasn't going to sustain the children, so I suggested making it to A&W where we could share some fries and juice before we walked up the hill and through the tunnel. I called Papa and he was able to come and pick us up, which worked out perfectly as I was anticipating a whiny walk back up the hill.

Both kids settled quickly for their quiet time and Schmoo even fell asleep. Obviously the fresh air, sunshine and big walk had tuckered them out. Papa went into town for work and once the kids were up, they settled in to watch Curious George - The Movie, while I made supper (leftovers from the weekend). Schmoo and I had a great snuggle on the couch before Bean woke up. She's always the most cuddly when she wakes up from a nap. I can just fold her little body into me and hold her tight. Bean, on the other hand, wakes up with no interest in snuggling. He wants me to get right out of his room.

Papa came home and I snuck out for a quick run in hopes of getting my own energy back in action. It felt great to be out in the fresh air and I made it around the "block" before it wasw dark. Bedtime was a long process tonight, as Schmoo is always wide awake in the evenings after a nap.

This spring break sure feels long without our usual routine of preschool and activities. I'll be ready for Schmoo to start back at preschool next week. Gymnastics starts up again next week too. Instead, I'm trying to line up some playdates this week and fit in my gym fix before we go away for the weekend.

Schmoo's Favourite Parts of the Day
Favourite - watching Curious George
Not Favourite - none

No comments: